Friday, March 13, 2009

VoIP Voice Quality and your Computer Network


I recently moved my home office to a different area of our house, and the experience proved how important your Computer Network is when implementing Voice over IP (VoIP).

 

I often work from home and I connect to our corporate IP phone system using VoIP. The voice quality has always been crystal clear, due mostly to the fact that I have a Managed ADSL service that I use only for VoIP and Shaw Cable for my business and family web surfing, email etc. There is also a Dual-WAN router, allowing me to connect both the ADSL and Cable connections into my network, with an automatic fail-over if ever one of the services is unavailable. So for one guy with only one IP phone, I was pretty well set up.

 

My new office did not have any data cabling, so I installed a PowerLine HD Ethernet Adapter (DHP-300) device from Dlink. Using the power outlet, the Dlink DHP-300 gives me a 100 Mbps connection to my network. More than enough speed for one person, yet there was an immediate drop in the quality of my VoIP.

 

Lesson Number 1:  Read the Manual

 

The Dlink software included with the DHP-300 gave me the tools to check the quality of the power outlet, so by simply moving the adapter to a different power outlet my connection improved considerably. As well, the Dlink DHP-300 had built in QoS (Quality of Service), allowing me to set my VoIP traffic as a priority over regular data (like web surfing). And like magic, the voice quality of my VoIP was crystal clear again.

 

Lesson Number 2: Never Underestimate the Value of a Good Network!

 

Business owner that have not had a good experience with Voice over IP, often blame the VoIP provider or the Equipment they have purchased. Yet many times, you find a $20 hub, instead of a proper LAN switch or very poor cabling as the culprit. To take full advantage of VoIP technology I recommend your Computer Technician ensure the following.

  • A good LAN switch with QoS
  • A good (Managed) Dedicated Internet Connection for VoIP. This need not be expensive, as a good business-class ADSL service can be as little as $69 per month. Due to latency issues, I generally prefer ADSL over Wireless or Cable for VoIP.
  • A separate Internet Connection for other traffic, like Web Surfing, Email, etc. I prefer using 2 different ISP's, each using a different technology. For example ADSL for VoIP and Cable or Wireless for other traffic (like Web Surfing, email, etc.).
  • A robust Dual-WAN router is also recommended allowing you to connect both Internet connections to your LAN. However be aware that most inexpensive Dual-WAN routers simply load-balance between the 2 connections. VoIP does not perform well with this configuration therefore a router that "aggregates" the traffic is best. In other words, VoIP traffic over the ADSL and other traffic over Cable. Most Dual-WAN routers also offer an automatic backup, in case one of your connections fails. The router should also be powerful enough to support the traffic over your 2 connections. I like the FortiGate line of routers from FortiNet.

If you are implementing an IP phone system or trying to connect remote users to your business, give us a call. We support small and medium sized business throughout the Vancouver BC Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley.

 

Chris Miles                                                       Follow me on Twitter
604-484-4218 direct
 
Insight Information Technology
604-484-5141 Lower Mainland
604-864-0465 Fraser Valley

Posted via email from chrismiles's posterous

No comments: